Sunday, January 20, 2008

Television for kids of gay and lesbian parents - Advice

Dear Evolved Moms: I am just so sick of our kids watching any TV programming. Even Sesame Street (as inclusive as it is) still does not show ANY representations that even remotely look like our family. I have 2 year old twins, a 4 year old and we are on a waiting list for one more very soon. Any ideas? Dads who are going TV free!

Dear TV free Dads. Wow are you guys busy! Go you! Listen you might not need to fully unplug just yet.

First I should tell you that we are pretty
strict about TV at our place.
No TV during the week
Weekends we are pretty loose about it with a few exceptions
All commercials must be muted
and no violence (so lesbian pacifist - I know)
We have found that Noggin and other PBS shows
definitely are inclusive
of gender, of race, of national origin of ability...
but you are right
even shows who CLEARLY have gay hosts
don't seem to ever include us... hmmmmm.

Until now...
We were fortunate enough to get word of a new show called
Dottie's Magic Pockets
I have to admit I was VERY sceptical
We surround our kids
with books about all kinds of families
have open discussion
Go to family week....
I honestly assumed it was for the education of the
non-diversified and unenlightened

Let me say for the record
Not only was I wrong
But I did not even know
such a need existed in my home

We put the DVD on
and both kids were silent - no small feat!
My four year old started saying things like
"Mama - those caterpillars are two daddies"
Grinning wide with glee
My son - the sage 7 year old
"mama, she just said partner and she has a tattoo! like you!"

Sure it was educational - very in fact
but who cared?
my kids suddenly felt included on a level were I
didn't even now there was a deficit
They wanted it again and again
BOTH OF THEM!

Run don't walk
and order the video
she is truly wonderful
and parents actually will not get sick
of the sweet songs
and messages

To catch her live
she will be on the next R Family Cruise
in March

It's about time!

So guys
Limit a lot
but the good stuff does exists
and I am sure
we will be seeing a lot more of Dottie!

Evolved Mom - Stacey

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 20, 2008 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might also try the new animated DVD featuring a boy with two moms, BuddyG: My Two Moms and Me. I wrote a short piece about it here.

 
At March 08, 2008 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! We're so glad you enjoyed Dottie's Magic Pockets. You -and your readers- can also check our our new trailer at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwb4dozAJtY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home