Thursday, January 24, 2008

Son of a dyke
















A new semester has begun
in Ballet
The director tells me
Zion will be moved up
to Modern II
and a try in Ballet II
although he is young, she says
I am proud and so excited
although my lesbian self
can't full wrap itself around the draw of it all
I can feel his excitement welling
his pride
he has worked so hard
at 7 he is more focused
muscled
controlled
than I will ever be
I wait until we are in car
I have news love...
He holds his breath
then
screams in bliss
"open the door mama
I need air"
YAHOOOOOOOOOO
YEAAAAAAAAAAAH
I DID IT I DID IT
My son
the athlete
my son the intense
in this arena
he sees no limits
and his confidence soars
"soon I might be Fritz in the Nutcracker!"
soon my love
At school he worries so much about fitting in
plays rough with the boys
shows off for laughs
chats during class
wants to wear certain things
won't wear others
African American
son of two white lesbian moms
who loves ballet
and yet

it is the differences
the two moms
the ballet
the race conversations
where he shines
he excels
he is bold
he has no fear
nice to know
in those moments
we are doing
a good job
he feels so safe

and off
to ballet we go



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home