Thursday, November 08, 2012

A Second Pause

A second pause: So I took some crap yesterday on this post - both on and off facebook. So let me be clear:

Throughout history, up to and including present day, the majority had pushed, shoved and forced the minority to bend, to compromise, to accept less than, to give up and break. My marriage is not equal in this country, I do not share the same benefits, I have fears that are a reality regardin
g my family safety and my spouse and healthcare and hate crimes. I drop her hand in public when it is not safe, I don't kiss her at school so that others are comfortable. WE have always had less and lived with less and felt thankful for the slow moving progress where it could be seen. We HOPED for acceptance for years, QUESTIONED our safety daily - in large cities and small, CRIED at the lack of equality in this nation. I bend and bend and bend.

One day, when I am equal to you, when my rights are the same as yours, my family protected - on that day, I will begin to compromise. BUT do NOT DARE to ask me to bend one more time, compromise one more ideal, break one more promise to my children of an equal tomorrow. I have a right to be angry. I have less and am aghast that others, you know who you are, did not care about our rights, my rights, my children's safety, women, nor even freedom. Do not dare to ask me to bend again. This is why women and gays and many groups stay down. Because at the first sign of progress, we were taught to be thankful for the small morsel of equality we received. We are told, look we accept you here, isn't that enough?!? It is NOT enough. I am thankful that we have a beginning and I will not bend again. I will fight until we are all equal.

And by the way - this page is mine. If you don't like it - don't read it.

1 Comments:

At January 18, 2017 8:12 PM , Anonymous Heather said...

Love this! Thank you for every single word of it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home