Tuesday, June 24, 2008

do I look like I have a husband to you? - advice

Dear evolved moms: We have visited and applied to 3 preschools for our son. ALL of the forms for ALL of the school have applications which read mother and father. He has TWO DADS! Crossing off and filling in is just not enough. Can we send him to a school that cannot even handle this simple form change to be inclusive? Exasperated dads!

Dear Dads: Ugg!
I hear ya. The polite answer is yes.
you can send him
but you will also need to do some education around these issues
and about why they segregate and exclude GL families
Choose a school based on all of the issues
the education, comfort and feel
love to your child.....

okay - as I am not known for being polite
here is my other answer
I too and sick as hell
of the laziness and arrogance and heterosexism
that goes into moments like the ones you are dealing with
Schools, camps and companies need to wake up
and realize we all exist

There are times,
when we do not feel like educating
or as you say - crossing out and filling in
why should we?

This week I went to T-mobile
to get my wife a new phone
hers had broken
It had been a long day
I had two kids with me
and the clerk said
I was not an authorized user on the account
I said we were legally married
I had the Social security numbers and pins
finally she said
"your husband needs to come in to authorize you"
i just snapped
"DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE A HUSBAND?
GET REAL LADY, LOOK AT THIS FAMILY.
THIS IS MASACHUSETTS FOR CHRISTS SAKE!"

sometimes
we just have to say it like it is
not pussy foot around the issues
speak your mind.

Am I advocating yelling
of course not
there were clearly better roads I could have taken
but sometimes
you just need to speak your mind

We'd love for our son to come here
but our family needs to be included in all ways
and that includes the forms
kapeesh?


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 10, 2009 8:56 AM , Anonymous Mali said...

"DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE A HUSBAND?
GET REAL LADY, LOOK AT THIS FAMILY.
THIS IS MASACHUSETTS FOR CHRISTS SAKE!" LOL.. that has happened to me many times!!..

Though because inmigration non-inclusive laws my partner and I have to live in my home country now, down in South America, and let me tell you: It was way "funnier" when this happened to me in MASS!!..
Keep up the good work!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home