Friday, May 08, 2009

You People




Yesterday
I was effectively
"you peopled"
by a child at our kids school
not just any kid either
one who really really knows us
has been to our home
in our car
to our kids parties

I was waiting to pick up our daughter from kindergarten
I heard a child voice saying
"Hi Mrs. Harris"
which always makes me laugh
so formal
so my mother
so not me
I smiled at her
"you know honey you can just call me Stacey" I said
she just smiled up at me
and happily stated
"I can't tell you apart, so I just call you both Mrs. Harris"
and truly I was stunned.
silent actually - which is really weird for me
For one
Jessie and I really are not lookalikes
although occasionally matching we never twin EVER
(my mom does by us everything in twos..
but we do not wear them at the same time
okay maybe the sandals...)
My hair is shaved off, I wear ripped jeans
my eyebrow is pierced
I am short with glasses
I am boish
Jessie is tall and has hair (not long but long for a dyke)
and she is always dressed up, coming from work she is girly
so I sat silent
almost feeling slapped

so odd
to just be written off
you are just one of them
why should I bother to tell you apart
you are lesbians
same
even at 9 or 10 or 11 whatever she is
she saw us as a group
not me as a person
and felt no issue with that at all.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At May 08, 2009 8:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just love to leave a comment on the fact that you have the luna chix picture up! They are in our Seattle league and it makes me wonder what your connection to that team is? You are on the other side of the country? This was from the gay world series...Fun!

 
At May 09, 2009 7:47 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

no connection. found that image googling while thinking of this situaiton and just LOVED the image. They look amazing!!! Would have loved to have seen that game though!

 
At May 19, 2009 10:53 PM , Blogger Woo222 said...

Wow. I too am stunned. That's shocking. I am often bewildered by the way the "rest of the world" sees the glbt community. Freaks, queers, less thans. Don't they realize we are just like them?

 
At July 13, 2009 8:37 AM , Blogger It's Daddies. Plural. said...

Heard you on "Derek and Romaine" duringthe R Family Cruise so I thought I'd stop by to say hi! Great blog!

 
At August 05, 2009 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former teacher I've had kids who were in my class - every day! - who couldn't remember my name....
My daughter's friends also have trouble (she is 5 1/2).... I chalk it up to the natural self-centeredness of children. We are one of "them" -- but the "them" is adults, not queers!

 
At August 07, 2011 6:09 AM , Anonymous Gay Mum said...

I agree with 'anonymous'. As a teacher I constantly get mistaken for 2 other staff members, both of whom are tall and blonde but look nothing else like me. It's just kids being lazy and self-centred, don't take it to heart!
Great blog btw :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home