Saturday, February 11, 2006

Evolved Moms Blog Begins!

So our Blog begins - on the first full day of the Olympics, how very lesbian, I think! Our aim is to create a space for lesbian and gay fellow parents, fellow want-to-be parents, fellow like-minded folks, to be, to comment, to share, to seek advice when lost, and definitely to laugh.

I am sitting on the couch with Zion - my oldest - five "and-three-quarters" he lets me know. Time flies. We are watching the women's USA Ice Hockey team take the ice. Brutal chick strength. Lesbian parenting at its best. Watching this power team crash and speed around, it amazes me that there are no professional women baseball players. How can that be? How long have women even been "allowed" to play ice hockey in the Olympics? When will the first pair of ice-dancing men take the ice?

We just scored again! Zion is screaming "Go USA!" Do you think many heterosexual dads watch women's ice hockey with their sons? I dunno.

This week the highest court in New Jersey is deciding if our good friends - and several other gay and lesbian couples - have the "right to marry". I sit here in Massachusetts, married and watching ice hockey as our friends Marcye and Karen wait - nail-biting, hearts pounding, holding their two children - exactly the same age as mine - to see if they can have the same rights as I do as a lesbian in Massachusetts - as all other heterosexuals in the entire country do. And some panel of judges just gets to decide if our love is equal and valid.

How do I explain this to Z? How do I give him faith in a world when I flinch every time the news tickers by: Iraq, kidnapped, bomb, another troop lost, levees unmended. Separate but unequal still reigns in our world.

I urge you not to fall silent.

USA women won six to nothing! Women playing ice hockey at the Olympics...

Then again...look how far we have come. All in time... Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At February 14, 2006 9:40 PM , Blogger Lo said...

I work in New Jersey.
Getting that email from you today, Valentine's Day, well, to say it made my day does not really explain.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

 
At February 14, 2006 9:41 PM , Blogger Lo said...

May I link your blog to my own?

 
At February 15, 2006 12:44 AM , Blogger Stacey said...

Thank you so much to all of you who have joined in and commented this first day - and please feel free to link to us from any and all of your blogs!

Good Luck to New Jersey tomorrow! We will be thinking of you!

 
At February 15, 2006 4:09 PM , Blogger SkyMama said...

This was beautiful and strong and very very moving. Congrats on the new blog and go USA women! As a hetro, white mom in a very accepted marriage, I am (obviously) much less aware of the struggle that you and Jessie and other gay and lesbian couples have untertaken in order to be considered LEGALLY a family. Thank you, as always, for the reminder. For you, for my father-in-law (who came back to MA last summer to marry his partner of 17 years), for my child to have the right to marry whoever he wants (in another 18 years)...for equal rights for us all, I fight beside you. Blessed be.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home